Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Something to Be Learned? -- Part Two

Steve Rubel over at Micro Persuasion summarizes, in a post called "Media - Mass = Journalism 2.0," an article that recently appeared in the Washington Post entitled "As the Internet Grows Up, the News Industry Is Forever Changed." While the article itself focuses on how journalism is being changed by the internet, Rubel broadens the focus: "It's a must read for every PR professional. If you're doing your job the same way you did five years ago, look out. The floor you built your career on is shifting..." The bullet points he makes are as applicable to theatre PR as any other industry. How can theatre make this leap-frog? What role will the theatre blogs play? What role can they play? How can theatres benefit from this change?

--------------------------------
June 21: I have just discovered that YS, over at Mirror Up To Nature, has posted a brilliant exploration of this in his post "Look Who's Getting Defensive, or Too Little Too Late." Check it out!

2 comments:

Art said...

Hi Scott,

I think you are right. The mainstream and the highbrow arts journalists are resisting, but as I state in this post

http://mirroruptolife.blogspot.com/2006/06/look-whos-getting-defensive-or-too.html

I think they are misunderstanding the New Media.

Scott Walters said...

Thanks! I missed this post, which is absolutely outstanding. I've provided a link in my original post.

Think Again: Funding and Budgets in the Arts

Every once in a while, I think I'll post a link or two to posts written earlier in the life of Theatre Ideas that seem worth revisiting ...