Friday, January 06, 2006

Table of Contents

I am starting to pack up my books for a move to a new office at the end of the month. I came across and anthology of plays from 1921 entitled Chief Contemporary Dramatists, which the introduction says is filled with "plays of the first order of excellence" from "the theatre of Europe and America." Here is the table of contents:

Milestones by Arnold Bennett and Edward Knoblock
Abraham Lincoln by John Drinkwater
Mixed Marriageby St. John G. Ervine
King Argimenes and the Unknown Warrior by Lord Dunsany
The Easiest Wayby Euguen Walter
The Piper by Josephine Preston Peabody
The Yellow Jacketby George C. Hazelton and Benrimo
The Loving Wife by George de Porto-Riche
Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Eostand
Pateur by Sacha Guitry
"Moral" by Ludwig Thoma
Living Hours by Arthur Schnitzler
The Concert by Hermann Bahr
Giocandaby Gabrielle d'Annunzio
The Bonds of Interestby Jacinto Benavente
The Lower Depths by Maxim Gorki
The Tragedy of Love by Gunnar Heiberg

Made me look at my copies of contemporary anthologies a little differently...

No comments:

Think Again: Funding and Budgets in the Arts

Every once in a while, I think I'll post a link or two to posts written earlier in the life of Theatre Ideas that seem worth revisiting ...