Monday, May 05, 2008

No Adults

I have been enjoying reading Ken Davenport's "Producer's Perspective" blog for about a month now. I like his unique perspective. But if I needed proof that Ken and I don't quite see things the same, his recent post "Why Did I Decide to Be a Producer of This Broadway Show?" pretty much did it:

What do we look for when putting our record and reputation on the line? A good score? A reasonable economic model? Passionate creative team? Producing partners you admire? A show you can say you're proud to be a part of even if He doesn't like it?

Yes.

But that's not all.

For me, there has to be all of those things . . . and something else. Something unique, something remarkable, something purple. Something that can cut through the noise of the other 30+ Broadway shows screaming for attention in the 12 block stretch that is Broadway.

Man, so far I am SO with you, Ken.... But then you explain why you chose this particular show, a new musical called 13.

So what does 13 have that made me call Bob to see if he was looking for partner like me? Yes, it has all of the above in super-spades (wait until you hear this score), but it also has this . . . a cast of 13 teenagers. No adults.

And a band of teenagers. No adults.

Now that's something that gets attention, don't you think?
I just stared at the screen with my mouth hanging open. The absence of adults is what makes this show special? I -- I -- I'm just -- speechless. When I did Mame in high school there weren't any adults onstage, either, and nobody suggested a Broadway run was in the offing.

Ken promises more details as the show nears its September opening. Man, I hope so...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That YouTube video of girls beating up that other girl grabbed your attention. Is it worth turning into a Broadway show?

Just because it's different and just because it grabs your attention doesn't mean it's good!

On the other hand, that could just be what grabbed his attention initially, and after he read through the script a few times, he developed a more detailed idea of why it's good.

Think Again: Funding and Budgets in the Arts

Every once in a while, I think I'll post a link or two to posts written earlier in the life of Theatre Ideas that seem worth revisiting ...