Sunday, March 22, 2009

Tom Loughlin: Locally Produced Arts

Excellent post from Tom Loughlin (A Poor Player): "Locally Grown and Produced -- Art?" As I said in the comments on his blog, one thing that jumped out at me (other than my total agreement with the local food/local art parallel) is the idea of “show business.” To my knowledge, there are no Departments of Show Business at any universities — The Departments, Drama Departments, but no Show Business Departments. Maybe we need to encourage this label, so that potential students can make a distinction between commercially-oriented departments (Show Business), Big Regional Theatre -oriented departments (Theatre), liberal arts-oriented departments (Drama), and community-based departments (Community Arts), or Interdisciplinary Arts. At least there would be truth in advertising.

No comments:

Think Again: Funding and Budgets in the Arts

Every once in a while, I think I'll post a link or two to posts written earlier in the life of Theatre Ideas that seem worth revisiting ...