Sunday, June 15, 2008

More On Madhusree Dutta

An article in the Rocky Mountain News.

And a comment posted anonymously to my original post on the ArtsJournal NPAC blog:

From what I have heard from several very reliable sources was that the decision was made by the conference organizers themselves (not at the request of any funder--in fact, major funders were surprised to hear that this took place and were equally surprised that artists have censored each other). I believe that Melanie Joseph handled the situation incredibly well. Prior to the session, the moderator and panelists didn't know the situation.

If we can't be trusted with having civic dialogue around an artistic product, how can we work together for change? The conference organizers couldn't have handled the situation in a worse manner. Shame on them. I have the feeling that this isn't going to be the last we hear of this. The Rocky Mountain News picked it up in an article, and I heard rumblings that the New York Times would be covering this incident. And rightfully so...

The idea that artists are doing this themselves is what is most disturbing. I have a feeling we haven't heard the last of this.

No comments:

Think Again: Funding and Budgets in the Arts

Every once in a while, I think I'll post a link or two to posts written earlier in the life of Theatre Ideas that seem worth revisiting ...